Friday, November 22, 2013

Entryway Remodel - Flooring Choice

So I posted last week that my entryway is in desperate need of a remodel. One of the main reasons being that one of my two cats has decided to "decorate" the carpet. That being the case, replacing the carpet in this 40ft. long hallway is the top priority and thus the first project on my list. At first, I thought I'd put tile down the hallway, but then I got some quotes on what the installation would cost (in excess of 10 sq/ft.); that just ain't gonna happen on my budget. So I started considering other options. Although laminate flooring is reasonably priced, I have an issue in that I already have existing engineered maple wood flooring bordering the hall. I don't want to continue this engineered wood throughout (another cost issue) and I couldn't find something that would complement the existing floor. 



So, the good folks at Home Depot talked me into something I never thought I'd put in my house...vinyl flooring. They sell a product called TrafficMaster Allure, which is vinyl flooring that is installed in planks such that it kinda actually looks like wood! After much deliberation, and a vote put out to my parents (my brothers refused to participate on the grounds that I was going with vinyl). I opted for the Lisbon Cork floor. My hope is that it will go well with the existing flooring and hold up to my cats' antics while deceiving people into thinking I actually put cork down.



We will know in a couple of weeks when Home Depot installs the floor. In the meantime, my weekend project is going to be ripping up the carpeting and priming my concrete subfloor in order to "repair" the damage my cat has already done. Given the fact that my DIY skills leave something to be desired...this relatively simple task may turn into quite the adventure. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment