Saturday, September 7, 2013

Michigan-derings- Ann Arbor



I may live in the Pacific Northwest, but I am still a Michigander at heart. After 8 years in Oregon, I still don’t drink coffee and I despise microbrews, which basically means that I have no business living in the Northwest. During a recent trip home to the Mitten State, I found myself getting a more than a little nostalgic over signs and t-shirts that declared Michigan to be “America’s High Five” and saying that Michiganders “Always have a map on hand.” The trip started with a couple of days in Ann Arbor, my hometown. Not only was it move-in week for the students, but the first football game of the season as well (which I happily but so not soberly attended with my two brothers). Thus, Ann Arbor was in its purest form.

If you’ve not yet experienced a football game in the “Big House”…you should seriously consider adding it to your bucket list. There is nothing quite like the moment you realize that you are belting out the lyrics to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” Be prepared to stand for the whole game if you are in the student section. If (like me) you are getting to be too old for the students, you can actually sit during the game…but you will only have about 3 inches of real estate for your tush. It is all worth it however, to those of us who knew of legends like Schembechler, Ufer, Harmon, and Howard before we were even out of the womb. For those of us lucky enough to be from or have spent time in Ann Arbor (i.e. “The Deuce”) football Saturdays will always be a sacred pastime.

Go Blue. May the winged helmets prevail over the Domers tonight under the lights.

And if you are looking for some awesome t shirts…

Look for more Michiganderings from Traverse City soon…



No comments:

Post a Comment