Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Barcelona Chair

Over the holidays I had the opportunity to make several trips back to one of my favorite vintage stores, the Treasure Mart in Ann Arbor, MI. Low and behold, one of these had just arrived in the store...
The Barcelona chair was originally designed by architect Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe and Lily Reich for the 1929 International Exposition in Barcelona, Spain. It was put into production by Knoll as a piece of furniture in the 1930s through the 1950s; and has now become a piece that is an icon of mid century modern design. I was pleasantly surprised to find this one at the Treasure Mart; appearing to be an original, and looking a tad beat up in terms of the leather on its lower cushion. If I could've purchased it for my Etsy store, I would've done it in a second as it was very reasonably priced at $525 and these chairs can easily sell for up to $1200.  Alas, I couldn't have gotten it to Oregon, and my brothers did not feel like taking on the task of shipping it from Chicago, so I had to leave it there. It was heartbreaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment